Parish History

Madley is a large village in central Herefordshire, six miles West of Hereford.

There is evidence of Iron Age and Roman settlement in the area, and a Roman road runs through the East end of the village, running from Leominster towards Abergavenny.

The church stands in the centre of the village. It has an aisled and clerestoried nave with a north porch and a South chapel; a West tower, and a chancel with a crypt below it.

The original church was built in 12th century but the present church is of the 13th and 14th century.

The nave arcades are of six bays, carried on cylindrical columns with moulded capitals and chamfered, two-order pointed arches.

The clerestory windows are plain pointed lancets. The aisles extend westward alongside the West tower.

There was a major remodelling in 1320, when the four eastern bays of the North nave aisle were heightened and fitted with three-light reticulated windows, and a chapel with a four-bay arcade was added South of the South aisle.

Repairs were made in the 17th and in 1833-35 and again in 1871-79. Further repairs were carried out in 1962-64 and in 1979.