Draft Minutes

Minutes of a Parish Council meeting held on Monday 9th April 2018 at 7.p.m. in the Parish Rooms, Madley

Present:
Chairman: Cllr David Williamson, Cllr Margaret Harkin, Cllr Jane Hirst, Cllr Richard Lloyd, Cllr Sheila Cook, Cllr Chris Williams

In Attendance:
Ward Councillor Steve Williams, Clerk Alison Davies, Lengthsman Terry Griffiths and 9 members of the public.

1. Introduction and welcome by the Chairman
The Chairman, Cllr David Williamson, welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. Apologies for Absence
There were no apologies for absence.

3. Declarations of Interest
There were none.

4. Open Session
A resident had heard rumours that the bollards which had been in Rosemary Lane for fifty years were going to be removed. He was worried that this would open the byway to all traffic resulting in the road becoming a rat run. The Clerk to check with Balfour Beatty.
There was discussion about a sign for Pickhatch Lane. Balfour Beatty had told the Clerk it was a private road, and this was disputed by residents as there were white lines on the road. The cost of as new sign was approximately £1,000 and resisdents pointed out that there were many roads in the parish that didn’t have signs. The Clerk to write to Miss Winney and explain the position.

5. i. Ward Councillor’s Report
Cllr Steve Williams clarified that the Parish Footpath Officer reports to and is appointed by the Parish Council. He had been is discussion with the Balfour Beatty Stakeholder Manager. He will have discussions to further clarify and improve the paperwork which is sent out.
ii. Lengsthman’s Report
The lengthsman reported that he had started late because of the snow, but had done the majority of work. He had cleared gullies and had swept Church Croft but had to go round the parked cars. Ridgewell needs to be scraped with a digger and he will so a second sweep today breaking up mud with a shovel. He still had some sweeping work to do between Putson? and Archenfield. He said that the roads hadn’t been cleared for a couple of years and he would bring the jetter along. The Brampton ditches still needed doing. He would complete the work shortly. There were enough funds for two maintenance days, ditching and sweeping with a balance of £19 in the budget after this was completed. He would concentrate on drainage particularly in Swinmore and get drains running again. Grips had suffered from snow and needed digging out and reinstating. There was a query on who was responsible for MY 52, is it a bridle path? It is used by Welsh Water and the Electricity Company for access and is in a very poor state.
iii. Police Report
Held over

6. To approve Minutes of the Parish Council Meetings held on Monday 12th
February 2018
Resolved: – It was unanimously resolved that the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on the Monday 12th March 2018, were approved by the Council and then signed by the Chairman. Minutes would be posted in the notice board after approval at the meeting.

7. Clerk update and correspondence

The clerk was going on a course to learn more about GNDP the following week.
Herefordshire council had sent notification of a public hearing about the Herefordshire Travellers’ Sites Development Plan at the Three Counties Hotel on Tuesday 22nd May 2018.
The HALC in house training dates had been received.
Heartstart had offered training sessions but it was thought that there had been enough in the community.
Madley Environmental Study Centre had invited Councillors to attend the unveiling of a memorial from the Airfields of Great Britain to those who served at Madley Airfield on26th May 2018 at 12 noon. Councillors need to RSVP as soon as possible. There will be a family day on the field from 11 – 3 for all.
There had been a complaint about the footpath My52 and the state it is in.
There had been an email from Helen Capel about costs of the clock in the church tower, assistance on the cost of maintaining the pathway through the church and annual rent for the Parish Hall. The clerk advised that Parish Councils can no longer make donations to the church. HALC to give more guidance. To be an agenda item next month.
Members of the public noted that the website was not available. Clerk to check.

8. Finance
i. Resolved: To approve list of payments (notified separately)
ii. Resolved: The bank balance was noted at £27,418.14

9. Planning

There had been no determination on the fish and chip takeaway.

10. To set up working group to consider new data protection policies

It was agreed to wait until the Clerk had attended the GNDP course before progressing.

11. Madley School Eco group

The Chairman, Clerk and Cllr Jane Hirst visited the school to talk to the eco-group who
were delightful. The Park and stride start after the Easter Holidays on Thursdays. It is
hoped that, with support, it will happen more frequently.

12. Neighbourhood Plan

The steering committee reported that 60+ members of the public had attended the NDP meeting which was chaired by Chris Williams. Stephanie Kitto from Herefordshire Housing attended. Chris Williams opened the meeting explaining that the Steering Group was new and that this would be the start of the process. The aim is to bring the plan to fruition and for the process to be open and transparent. Areas to be looked at will include land for housing, green space, and the possibility of further industrial development to provide more employment. The Steering group is a subcommittee of the Parish Council and will report to them and people were invited to sign up to help.
Stephanie Kitto explained that Madley had an allocation of 89 houses of which 42 were in the pipeline or completed to another 40 plus were needed to meet the target. There might be “windfall” sites where people are already going to apply for planning. The NDP and siting of houses is guided by the village. There is also a requirement to look at green space. Consideration should be given to renewable energy and sustainability, ecology and history of the area.

13. Recreation Ground Update

Corinne Cranham reported that he football was starting next week and was very successful with up to 15 4-7 years old coming along. She had met with Kompan who had come up with a two phase plan which is more achievable. She would welcome any feedback. There was discussion about the issue of dog waste on the filed with 20 kgs of waste removed from the bins although some is still being left on the field. Dog bins were suggested as was fencing of the children’s area. There was discussion about banning dogs from the field but no conclusion was reached. Corrine was going to ask Madley Charities for financial support.
The clerk reported that there had been a complaint abut a missing manhole cover by the tennis club. This has now been replaced.
Countrywide had cut the field for the first time this year.

14. Footpath Officer’s Report

Mrs Joan Williamson has sent a notice of resignation from the post. She felt she could be more effective outside the Parish Council without the restraints put on her. The question of who insured the lengthsman was raised and Cllr Steve Williams will try to get definitive answers to who is responsible for the lengthsman.
Cllr Williamson had sent in a representation about MY3A.
Cllr Steve Williams had been in discussion re MY15 and would update.

15. Traffic and Road issues

i. Cllr Williams said that information we had received about a new 40 mph limit on Bridge Sollars Road was incorrect. It was thought that there was Section 106 money available for a passing place. Clerk to investigate. The clerk to contact Neil Powell about this.
ii. It was suggested that a speed limit along Stoney Street should be considered.
iii. Flooding. There was flooding at Lulham again and also on the Canon bridge Road.
iv. The service road at Archenfield was in a bad state and in need of repair.

16. A resolution will be taken to exclude the public.
Employment Matters
It was agreed to allow the Clerk 2 extra hours pay a week.

17. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)

18. Reminder of Date of next ordinary meeting: Monday 14th May 7.p.m.