Minutes 12th March 2018

Minutes of a Parish Council meeting held on Monday 12th March 2018 at 7.p.m. in the Parish Rooms, Madley

Present: Chairman: Cllr David Williamson, Cllr Margaret Harkin, Cllr Jane Hirst, Cllr Richard Lloyd, Cllr Sheila Cook, Cllr Chris Williams

In Attendance: Ward Councillor Steve Williams, Clerk Alison Davies and 13 members of the public.

  1. Introduction and welcome by the Chairman

The Chairman, Cllr David Williamson welcomed everyone to the meeting and was pleased to see such a good turnout from the public.

  1. Apologies for Absence

There were no apologies for absence.

  1. Declarations of Interest

There were none.

  1. Open Session

Suzy Bishop gave a report on the Litter Picking group and was pleased to note that the quantity of litter had dropped since the group started in 2011.  The group had signed up to the Stop the Drop campaign with Herefordshire council. There will be a litter pick on Sunday 15th April.  Please meet at the school car park at 10.30 for about two hours picking.  There are posters out and it is advertised in Tracking the News.  There is a need for volunteers to help with the organisation throughout the year.

The Red Lion is currently closed but is thought to be re-opening next month with new tenants.

John Andrew James of Stokes Cottage had received a notification of Moderation of Definitive Map to move MY15 into his garden and The Elms.  The clerk had spoken to Mike Walker of Balfour Beatty who said that there was no action currently on this notification.

  1. Ward Councillor’s Report

Councillor Steve Williams reported that there was a new Leader of Herefordshire Council, Johnathan Lester.  He said that the bad weather had exacerbated the potholes and asked for parishioners to let him know through the Clerk giving exact  locations.  He talked about what other Parishes focus on, usually Transport, Planning and the Lengthsman, with smaller issues having less time spent on them.  We need to complete the Neighbourhood Development Plan as soon as possible as it is our best defence against large building firms putting in planning applications for large numbers of houses. Some Parish Councils put on events, fetes, over 70 lunches etc.  Madley Charities need more trustees to run the charity.  The Charity supports young people in the Parish in various ways.

  1. Lengsthman’s Report

This was held over to the next meeting

  1. Police Report

This was held over to the next meeting

  1. To approve Minutes of the Parish Council Meetings held on Monday 12th    

February 2018

Resolved: – It was unanimously resolved that the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on the Monday 12th February 2018, were approved by the Council and then signed by the Chairman. Minutes would be posted in the notice board after approval at the meeting.

  1. Clerk update and correspondence

A further letter from Miss Tina Winney had been received asking why the Parish Council couldn’t help her and who could? There was a discussion and it was thought that Pickhatch Lane was not a private Road.  The Clerk to contact Balfour Beatty to check.

GDPR-  the new data protection laws come into place on 25th of May and we will need to appoint a Data Protection Officer who is not a member of the Parish Council or the Clerk.  There was some discussion about the legality of this and we need further information from Cllr Steve Williams.

Confirmation of our precept had been received.

  1. Finance

10.1      Resolved: To approve list of payments (notified separately)

10.2      Resolved:  The bank balance was noted at £25,610.67

10.3      The clerk thanked Derek Hirst for his help with the old website which he had managed to open and put a link to the new website: madleyparishcouncil.org .

10.4      Resolved. The clerk reported that she could not sue the mobile phone as she had no signal.  It was agreed that she would use her landline instead.

  1. Planning.

11.1    Brightwells No 174702.   The clerk had spoken to the enforcement officer and the company had been visited.  They agreed to alter the times on the leaflet.

11.2      Madley Shop and Post Office No 180189 – the decision is due on the 13th March

  1.       To set up working group to consider new data protection policies

This was held over until the next meeting.

  1. Madley School Eco group

The Chairman had received a letter from the Eco group asking for a footpath across the recreation ground as the school would like to start a Park and Stride.  The clerk will approach the school to arrange a meeting with the group.

  1.       Neighbourhood Plan
  1. There will be a public meeting to discuss the Neighbourhood Development Plan on Wednesday 4th April at 7p.m. in the Parish rooms when Stephanie Kitto from Herefordshire Council will explain what is involved. Jane Hirst had arranged for leaflets to be distributed throughout the parish.
  2. Appointment of Consultant.  The clerk had been in contact with several other clerks who had recommended consultants they had used.  She had been in contact with several, but some didn’t want to take the project on.  The Councillors agreed to the appointment of David Nicholson who came highly recommended if he would agree.
  • The Chairman asked for any members of the public who would like to be involved to put their names forward and several names were suggested. Jane and Edward Davies agreed to serve on the steering group.
  1. Recreation Ground Update

Corinne Cranham had met with Kompan who were coming up with a scheme for the Recreation Field.  This would be in keeping with the environment with wooden equipment and a natural fence line.  The plan is two phase with a large piece of equipment and an improved slide.  The second phase would be for the younger children.

There was an issue with dumped soil waste which was possibly dumped by the lengthsman team.  The Clerk will write to Terry Griffiths to ask for the removal of the soil.

  1. Footpath Officer’s Report

Mrs Joan Williamson had prepared her report but had posted it in public before the Parish Council had approved it.  The clerk asked that she take it down as it was not purely factual, and the Parish Council could only present factual reports and not personal opinions.  There was some discussion. 

  1. Traffic and road issues

There was discussion about the parking problems on the main road and it was suggested that the Parish Council invite the school Headmaster to discuss the problems.

The cost of white gates to mark the beginning of the village is between £1,000 and 3,000 per set.

  1. Date for 6 month appraisal for clerk

The appraisal will take place on 11th May at the HALC offices.

  1. Website

The Clerk reported that the new website was up and running and the title was www.madleyparishcouncil.org.  She is to have training to be able to access it.

  1. Items for next Agenda (no discussion)
  2. Reminder of Date of next ordinary meeting: Monday 9th April 7.p.m.